Tuesday, June 13, 2017

MIL Assignment

1. Given the available media that we now have in the world, what are its roles and functions in a democratic society?


- Due to its abundance medias like the television, radio, printed articles, and internet have been divided to portray different roles and functions in the world we live in today.

*Television - Probably every household has a TV, making one of the prime sources of news and information needed to be disseminated to the mass. Every channel has a news segment so every one can be updated with the latest events. Another of its function is to create mass entertainment. Television channels have show that play all day long, may it be original or borrowed from another source of entertainment e.g. Korean dramas.
.

*Radio - Maybe the TV might be the most common household media, but the radio beats it in terms of convenience and easy-to-access basis. Most old-style phones (not smart phones) have a built-in radio as part of its program. Basically, a radio has similar functions to a television with the only factor that the radio is only audio-based. TVs may give more elaborated information with its graphic images, but in case of emergencies, radio is enough to be your best companion.

*Printed Articles - We may not notice it a lot, but printed articles are the best source of information and entertainment when no electric device is accessible nearby. And to be honest, that's pretty much it. (not saying that printed articles are basic. it just that i've mentioned its functions already above cuz you know they just have the same function)

*Internet - The internet is probably the most used media right now. With accessibility (even if a higher cost is paid) and easy-to-carry factor, it appeals the mass the most. I don't think there's a need to explain this since this is something everyone can relate to.

2. In what way does media affect your life?

As person who lived in the Information Age, media has greatly affected me in ways I may or may have noticed. When I look for information, I go to the internet. When I'm bored, I read magazines. When I need to know the news, I listen or watch the radio or TV. There is so much more to what media has done to me, I can't list it all. Probably because there are too many. Or probably because I don't know all of it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment