Friday, June 9, 2017

How Technology Changed My Life



I am a millennial. I was born in an era where the world is run by technology and innovation. I grew up in  a society where man and computer combine forces to make living more effective. I live in an environment where every single teenager of my age own at least one technological device. This is the life of a Generation Y baby.

Every time I look around and see my friends with their phones under their noses, I can't help but think, "What if me and my friends were born on the generation of Baby Boomers?" And every time I do so, I imagine us on 50's - 60's clothing, playing patintero in a sunny day, selling banana cue, going to the nearest plaza and a lot more things my grandma would use to tell me about her childhood life. I imagine a life where there were less shortcuts to living like going to my friend's house to talk with her, keeping the clock in check in case I miss my favorite TV show, going to the latest library to fill up my homework and a whole lot more. I even imagine myself writing a five-page essay at night! Just thinking about it made it seem so tough to live like that, but being a Baby Boomer had one thing most millennials don't: they live every single moment. I could almost imagine myself that instead of a phone, I would carry a small notebook with me everywhere I go and write important details as the day goes on. When the moon rises, I would transfer those in my journal and I could see myself smile as I write. I would smile because the day was great and I was able to live on it when it was. And now that it has come to an end, it will become a memory, It will be a memory very treasured and not easily forgotten.

And yet every time I slip in this fantasy, I awaken in the thought that it is not true. I carry phone, not a notebook. I use camera, not a journal. I chat with my friends when they are far away  so I don't have to go two miles from one point to another to talk to them. And even if advanced technology took away a way for me to live, it gave me an easier way to life needs. When I need information, I go the Google, not the library. I watch my favorite shows online, and even re-watch them in my own  pace.

Technology paved way to easier life style but it took away some important things. That's okay, I think. After all, everything comes with a price and this is the price our advanced innovation asked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment